...with Lightsaber and Removable Cloak!
In 1995, 12 years after the release of the last movie, and 2 years before the Special Editions would be released, Kenner decided to start their line of Star Wars action figure anew. The new line is considered "Power of the Force 2" because they retained the POTF logo.
The line started with the core characters, old Obi-Wan, Darth, Luke, Han, C-3PO, R2, Leia, Chewy, Stormtrooper. More waves successfully followed and here we are 16 years later and the production of Star Wars figures has not stopped once (although it has long stopped being under the POTF2 line).
Obi-Wan came first with a "long saber" variation (the lightsaber reached the top of the package, versus the one you see here) and later with the length you see here - one of many phallic intentions in Kenner's new line.
Keep in mind that the prequels did not come out until 4 years after this line debuted, so Obi-Wan is completely based on the original trilogy, but his back-of-the-card bio is kept intentionally vague about his younger years so it still applies.
Why should you get this figure? Five reasons:
1. Relive the famous line "Where did you dig up that old fossil?" by burying him in the sandbox to be discovered later (by you or the neighborhood cat).
2. Get the long and short saber variations to compare post and pre-Viagra Ben.
3. Removable cloak!? Finally a chance to see what's underneath! Oh...more brown clothes.
4. Renact his final duel with Darth Vader! Power tools needed to get all the clothes off though.
5. No worry about losing a flimsy vinyl cape! New worry about losing translucent blue accessory!
We've seen him covered in numerous books, movies, comics, etcetera. To read his full story (even that stuff you'd have to read from young reader editions), check out the Wookieepedia article here.
#1 in POTF2 line
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Posted by Ben at 1:53 AM