"And the last shall be first..."
The Y-Wing was one of the first vehicles introduced (in the battle against the first Death Star), but a toy didn't come out until Return of the Jedi. Because of that, you've got Admiral Ackbar in the cockpit, and Lando dinkin' around looking at the back of the thing on the box. Okay, while Kenner didn't always know how to set up a good photo for their toys, the vehicle itself is still pretty cool.
How cool? Five reasons cool:
1. Top-mounted-swivel guns. While in the Star Wars universe these were actually electronic-neutralizing ion cannons, you could just pretend they were destructive blasters.
2. You still had two front-mounted cannons!
3. The cockpit can fit your Luke in X-Wing outfit nicely (because the original line didn't have anyone else in the orange jumpsuits). The X-Wing pilots and Y-Wing pilots wore the same uniform.
4. It fits an astromech droid, unlike the X-Wing toy. You are still limited to only R2-D2 or R5-D4, but still, that's pretty cool.
5. The bottom-mounted proton torpedo could be dropped on your younger brother, or actually used for real purposes.
The Y-Wing (technical name: BTL Y-Wing Starfighter) was a good bomber, and a good partner to the X-Wing fighter. A Y-Wing has two laser cannons, two ion cannons, and two proton torpedo bays. Unlike the X-Wing, the Y-Wing could immobilize ships with its ion cannons. They were in use for quite awhile, fighting in both battles on the Death Stars. Y-Wings were largely replaced by the newer B-Wing fighter that were faster and had many of the same functions.
Want more? Its Wookieepedia entry
180th in alphabetical order
Friday, May 6, 2011
Posted by Ben at 2:08 AM