With the release of the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi in theaters, March 7, 1997, came a figure giveaway, yes, giveaway: this Special Edition of Jedi Knight Luke. Essentially the same as the red-carded figure but in a different package, it is an exclusive nonetheless. It was given out by theaters during screenings, and is rarer because it was never offered in stores (note "not for retail sale" on the back of the card).
True story: I knew this was coming out (but was in grad school at the time) so I asked my dad if he could stop by and get one (he had the day off). He bought 3, kept the figures and gave the tickets to the next 3 surprised people in line. Ticket prices were about the same as the action figures back then, so it must have been a wash.
Five reasons to get this figure:
1. Exclusive - rub it in your friends' noses.
2. When will you get that profile pic again? Luke at his most badass.
3. Cloak for those cold figure days.
4. Matching card and lightsaber.
5. The only figure card where you get a portion of the classic movie poster on it.
Luke was a lowly boy doing outerspace porn, oh, c'mon, you know who Luke is! Here's his full Wookieepedia entry.
Friday, March 1, 2013
Posted by Ben at 2:01 AM